29 Dec 2016

End of the year contemplations: Connection through Creations, Timeless form of Gratitude, and Doors to Happiness

These are some of my contemplations as the Gregorian Calendar year ends. I chose these because these were the ones that left strong emotions and gave deep insights in my life. All of these things that I shall write are born out of my experience and observations through the lenses of my soul.

Connection through Creations

As with many people, I carry a mobile device that allows me to send a message anywhere, anytime, and to anyone instantly. When I receive one, I can choose to reply immediately or later because I know that I can send one instantly anyway. The problem is, along those lines, the effort, the emotions, the thoughts lose importance and weight. Convenience has taken over our intention of giving proper time and effort to convey what we have to convey. In some cases, since we have already taken for granted the depth of communication, we worry over not being able to communicate for a short while. We worry over being "disconnected" with anyone and this happens most often with our current partner or family. I even experienced this anxiety of not being able to communicate or talk with someone even though I badly wanted to talk with her. I was frustrated with the distance and difference in the rhythm of work and lifestyle. I felt "disconnected" at one point but I realized immediately that this "disconnection" is illusory.

The concept that we are connected through electronic devices and social networking services is illusory. Our true connection lies more deeply, deeper than the deepest part of the ocean. Our true connection goes beyond the farthest star yet it is so close, we need only close our eyes and breathe.

I simply have to touch the ground where I am standing and I am already connected with that person. 

I simply have to breathe in air and I am already breathing the same ethers as that person. 

I simply have to drink water and I am already drinking the same water as that person.

Within me is the cosmos from which the Earth was made, and the same is true for that person.

This is our true connection. Through the Creations we are bound together yet our Creativity is boundless.

Timeless form of Gratitude

Most often, we say thank you once we receive something. We feel gratitude only after something happened, whether it be good or bad. This is one form of gratitude that we feel almost every day. This year, I have countless things that I have to be grateful for. I am grateful for all the experiences, all the people I met, all the Love I received, all the happiness people shared with me, all the pains and suffering I went through, all the things that did not happen. There is also a gratitude that is directed towards the future. We are grateful for the blessings, the good tidings that will come next year. Even the bad things that may happen, we are still grateful for them for they will lead to better things. 

Feelings of gratitude born from the past and future are all well and good but there is another form of gratitude that goes beyond the past and the future. This gratitude is a gratitude that is not directed to anyone or anything. You are not merely thankful for the things that have happened or will happen. You are no longer expecting anything, you are no longer bound to the past. You are simply thankful. The gratitude becomes so vast and empty that you can only smile and utter nothing. I experienced this feeling once while I was working the field. I took a break and sought shelter from the strong sun and sat on a piece of log lying nearby. There was a big fir tree in front of me and I looked at it. It's the same tree that I have been looking at for months but somehow that day, that moment, it looked different. There was a certain energy it was releasing or maybe I was the one directing it towards the tree and it is simply reflecting it. I do not really know. I cannot define it clearly in words but I caught myself smiling, and tears were running down my cheeks. I felt so happy, there was a deep gratitude that I cannot explain. I was not grateful to anyone or anybody, I did not even know what I was thankful for. I was just filled with utter gratitude and joy that I cannot stop myself from smiling. I just tried to put it in words as "timeless gratitude" but these actually do not suffice as a worthy definition of the experience. There is no explanation enough to express what I felt and I think it needs to be experienced rather than explained.

Doors to Happiness

There is no door to happiness. You can drop all your luggage, cancel all your travel plans, and stop yourself from walking further.

There is no door to happiness. 

The road you are standing on, the path you are on right now IS happiness. 

There is no seeking needed. 

There is no soul-searching needed. 

The more you seek, the more you are losing. 

Many trust the teaching that you should be happy for what you have because many people do not have it such as food, shelter, and clothing. This is true and we should indeed trust this teaching but I will also add something to it. Be happy for what you do not have. Many people carry burdens that need not be carried. This is true for many politicians and big businesses. They have too much that the happiness brought by material wealth is overburdened by the stress and fear that go with it. They indeed have material wealth but they also have the fear of losing it. 

True happiness in my experience is a balance of what you have and what you do not have. Standing in the middle of the path, the good and the bad is equilibrated and you experience Peace and Happiness. You are no longer happy just for those things you have but you are also happy for what you do not have. Through the clarity and pureness of your perspective, you become more aware of what you need to let go and what you need to hold, then you attain balance. 

This is the road of happiness, and through co-arising, the road of happiness is also the road of peace, joy, and love. 

Amen.


"Live your Life as if you are carrying a baby in your arms- not too tight for the baby might suffocate, not too loose for the baby might fall." 
(Photo taken at Teshikaga Town, Hokkaido, Japan)