30 Jan 2017

Should we put a conscious effort to search for a life partner or a soulmate?

Hello, friends!

I am able to contemplate on this topic as the silence of the winter allows my heart to listen and fully encounter the answer hidden within us.

All of us have felt this at some point in our lives. There is a deep longing for someone. No matter how busy we become, how noisy the surroundings may be, there is this feeling that we have to share this life with someone. I think that this is completely natural. In all aspects of this Universe, there is a balance between two opposites that creates a harmonious Oneness. Warmth is to cold, left is to right, high is to low, strong is to weak, sky is to earth,  light is to darkness, good is to bad, and the list goes on. Without the other, the other cannot exist. This is one of the teachings of Buddhism called the Co-arising and inter-being. The same with the humans. We are capable of unlimited creations yet, without the co-creative energy from our "opposite" or our partner, our creations are limited. It is ironic, yet I think this is true. 

So, now you may be thinking, I am now without a partner, so, should I look for one? 
My answer is both yes and no.

Yes, you should have that feeling of seeking, and no, you should not feed that feeling. That longing should be there but you should not seek. That feeling is a crucial element in our growth. If we allow that feeling to consume us, our actions will become desperate and may result to misdirected passion and imaginations. We should, rather, use that feeling of longing and turn it upon itself. Use it as an inspiration to improve yourself, do what you aspire to do in your life. Do not let that longing stop you and wait for that person to arrive before doing your greater purpose in life. Most of us get caught in the past and trap ourselves in the longing for the future. I have encountered many couples who are guided by the light and have shared with me their encounters and all of them met their partners as they were pursuing what they felt was their calling in life. Life allows situations to happen only when all conditions are present. One of the most important conditions is that we must first and foremost have a sincere trust to the workings of this Universe or others may say that one must trust God completely. We must trust that the person we are longing for already exists and we simply have to trust that our paths will cross and that time, we will surely know. Similar to what the alchemist has been following in Paulo Coelho's book, the Alchemist, we must also be sensitive and alert for omens being spread around by the Universe.

In my experience, the more I put conscious effort in searching, the more I lose sight of that person. The more I travel far, the more I lose. I finally realized to surrender everything to God and to the Universe, by surrender, I mean trust my whole self, purpose, and faith to the Greater Workings of this Universe. It is actually very simple, I just have to do what I have to do, enjoy my purpose, be the person I want to be with. I have encountered many people and I am now confident that the way I perceive the person is already guided by the Light. Trust the Middle Way, do not pursue someone, but do not be lazy and do nothing. 

Simply put, be conscious of your longing but place your efforts in your purpose as an unlimited Creation. He or she already exists and they are also longing for you. You are both building yourself, calming your energies, reinforcing your foundations, so that when you meet, you will not be burned by your emotions and passions.

So just relax, enjoy the ride, as long as you and that person carry the same faith and aspirations in life, both of your paths will cross when Life allows it.


The omens for the arrival of your partner may come in many forms. For me, the arrival of this creature in my life is one such omen. She teaches me about patience, understanding, commitment, and compassion.